FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:57 pm
Confus

Originally Posted by simonsmith
On a separate note I am still down the £70 for two people charged as a change fee for upgrading the outbound from C to F with avios, which was downgraded to C by BA and then subsequently cancelled. The avios have been refunded.
I know £70 is not much i the context of things but £70 x lots of people probably is.
As a matter of principle I think this is wrong as they have not provided me with the product purchased. At no time did any one take the time or send me any information to explain what the charge was for or the terms of the charge.
Your post is quite confusing so apologies if I’ve misunderstood any of it... but I read it that you don’t agree with BA not refunding a change fee paid earlier in the life of your booking? BA’s argument here is that the fee is for a service, and that service is the act of performing a change to your booking. It’s charged in addition to any fare/avios, and as long as your change is processed at the time and as agreed, they have delivered the service you paid for. What happens subsequently is inconsequential to the reason you paid that fee in the first place.

I have sympathy with their argument, as logically it holds firm. Unfortunately though it puts people such as your good self in an unpleasant position. I suppose you could ask for their mercy in acknowledging that you’ve been messed around a lot and whether they could make a goodwill gesture in the circumstances. But if they refuse, you could end up having to go a long way to get a refund, which may not be worth the £70. This is the sort of case for which they do tend to turn up to court, as the T&C of change fees make it very clear that they are non-refundable.

Good luck - and again, apologies if I’ve misread anything.