FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quick Getaway to Lima and Machu Picchu Before Christmas
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:57 pm
marcopolo-ken

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by lamphs
Looking forward to this report. My similar trip was canceled for April 2020 and I am looking at options for 2021. I'll be curious as to the ground situation in Peru - hotels, transportation, etc. Safe travels!
Both of my hotels were operating with most services open including the gym and pool. The buffet transitioned to a plated service, but you could order as much as you wanted. I will say the traffic was pretty bad in Lima. But I attribute that to the holiday season since the government was planning to ban all private car travel on Dec 24-25 so everyone wanted to get out and shop before that.

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Wonderful trip and thank you for sharing. Lima was my last international trip with my team before Covid. Some of them went to Machu Pichu after our team meeting. I didn't want to intrude on their fun, so I didn't go. Will certainly make the trip next time.

Thanks again,
I really enjoyed Lima. Just something about blending in with the local crowds and feeding off the energy of the city. And yes, Machu Picchu is a must next time!

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Really outstanding trip report. It has been over a decade since I journeyed to Machu Picchu and I want to return.

Also, I thought AA was just serving a snack box from LAX-MIA. Nice to hear that you received a full breakfast.
I was a bit surprised on the LAX-MIA leg too! Everything was served on one tray with each dish plastic wrapped.

Originally Posted by strummerjones
Thanks for the trip report and great photos. I’ve been wanting to see MP forever too. I’d like to hike the Inca Trail and visit other parts of the country, but never can find the time. Sounds like I might want to squeeze in a short trip as soon as possible just to avoid the crowds
The full Inca Trail was closed when I was there, the only option being the one-day trip. Even the separate hikes up to the two peaks were closed. If you can stomach traveling during this period I highly recommend it. Less crowds and prices are much lower. But I also know a lot of people who think I was crazy for flying during a pandemic and I completely understand. To each their own.

Last edited by marcopolo-ken; Dec 26, 2020 at 3:54 pm