FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus in Sweden
View Single Post
Old Dec 25, 2020, 9:18 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
Yeah, saw quite a few male in the mall with MENA background and I did see security guard grabbed a few of them too. I noticed something really weird: there's a guard standing by the trolleys facing the exit gate (level 2) peeping at cars leaving the mall. I have seen that several times now, I guess they are trying to catch shoplifters trying to escape by car or attempting to run through the gate to avoid parking fee

Emporia is a perfect hang out place: it's right by a train station and with great bus connections. It's the "newest" proper mall in Malmo (unless you count Entre) that has a very nice ICA and Willys that fit all income groups. Emporia has more shops than Mobilia and everything is under one roof (Mobilia is kind of chopped up into sections which is not exactly nice when it's windy and rainy outside). There are tons of toilets and benches to sit and even the cleaning staff are making use of the benches (they have them inside lady's rooms) to chat instead of doing their work.

The Swedish travel ban from Denmark is simply insane, giving a 7 hours notice (they finished saying the things about it at around 17.00 and took effect at midnight). It's simply crazy, what about a Swede bringing his/her foreign spouse and children from Asia/US etc. and fly into CPH? If they are on a long haul flight they would have been on board before the ban announced and ended up at CPH after it has taken effect. I saw a French/Swedish family on Sydsvenskan that the father who is not a Swedish citizen had to go back to Denmark - even though they have just landed. I think the father had to fly down to Germany and then into a Swedish airport - it's crazy.
Due to Swedish border control being ramped up there again, there are more Swedish police vehicles around the mall than has been typical in prior weeks this quarter. But the police aren't primary responders to any shoplifting going on at the mall, and their priority is with other things. So it's all the contract security and the ordinance control people doing the response to noted shoplifting incidents.

They've had more shoplifiting problems this fall than in prior years, but what has been sort of new this year is shoplifters making a dash for the exits via the above ground parking lots there. Maybe the shoplifiting problems have grown when the economy -- or at least part of the employment picture in Sweden -- is sort of in the tank in Sweden due to the pandemic.

The numbers and percentage of passengers from Denmark being turned back by Swedish passport control near the mall has dropped, so the word is getting out that it's not situation normal anymore for coming to Sweden from Denmark. The Swedish police doing passport control near the mall too are at times checking non-Swedes' claims about being entitled to an exemption (to the Swedish ban for Denmark) on the basis of living or working in Sweden and other factors.

Yes there are people who get to Denmark and then become aware of problems getting into Sweden from Denmark; and then if they want to get into Sweden anyway they have to do a more convoluted trip to get into Sweden -- a more convoluted trip that increases the risk of the impacted (but persistent) traveler spreading or getting infected with this coronavirus. But this kind of hassle does send a signal out that reduces travel demand, and that reduction is really the main point of some of these restrictions.

Taking a private boat from Denmark to Sweden? The Swedish police aren't checking that like they are checking the bridge traffic, commercial flight traffic and commercial boat traffic.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 25, 2020 at 9:28 am