FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Profile of a regular BAEC GOLD and above status chaser?
Old Dec 24, 2020, 4:42 am
PGberkshire

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Hi,

So I joined BAEC in 2014, first flight was economy to Grand Cayman.

I then went through a phase of CV bookings (so NYC in First return for a couple of years) based on CC spend. I had little bit of paid for flying and the odd work trip, so sat in the Bronze level.

I then met my GF and she has a big thing for travelling, and now I have the bug.

My work trips, which barely made a dent in status stopped, but my personal paid for trips went up and I decided to make a plan for Silver for 2020. My year runs to Sept.

Despite COVID I made Silver, and then the reduction came in for Gold so I had a solo TP run in the summer (cheap CE flights and boredom).

Im now Gold for 2 years, I have enough TP booked for this year to re-qualify, even though its a moot point. They will probably be cancelled anyway.

I have booked in enough TP for next year (sept 21 onwards) so that come sept 22 I re-qualify.

One is a trip to HK via Qatar which is Ex EU, this is a planned trip with a bit of TP maximisation.

I also have a few CE flights for holiday (weekend breaks)

I do have one TP run, £800 for 560TP. Partially I want to keep Gold status, especially for things like HKG lounges and the better food/drink at LHR. Also its a bit of fun, again this is a solo trip. I am doing it mid week and the flight times mean I can work and fly and not take holiday (I am flexible working / home worker).

This trip means I get to explore parts of Europe, with limited risk and find new places to potentially go back to for a real break.

Personally, if I can keep Gold by having 2 long haul trips and 1 TP run each year, it sort of makes sense.