FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More 737-9 MAX Planes Ordered (12/22/2020)
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:14 pm
Tack

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by ASA_1
I think eventually Alaska will convert some of the orders to the MAX 8. The MAX 9 (like the -900ER) can’t operate into all of Alaska’s destinations like SNA due to takeoff performance limitations.

Will be interesting to see if they also eventually pick up some MAX 10s, or if the fleet of 10 321neo totally addresses that need.
MAX9 has runway performance very close to the 737-700NG. But from the internal Information released from AS, this deal gives them a ton of flexibility with the options, so it appears the plan is to get the MAX9 into the fleet and then decide what their MAX mix will be, or if the 9 is indeed the jet Du Jour. They also said this order gets them back on the road to a one jet fleet. The 321N is in the fleet plan until 2026 only. AS stated internally that while the 321N has great payload benefits, it’s op costs are more than the MAX for the type of flying they do now and for their future expansion plans. (They pointed to purchase price, fuel and maintenance costs specifically). Based on that info, I’d guess the NEO’s phase out will start close to 2026 if not be totally gone from the fleet by then. I’m retired AS BTW, but what they’ve said internally to employees pretty much jives with what’s been in their press releases. Cheers.

Last edited by Tack; Dec 23, 2020 at 9:37 pm