FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Surpass and HH mutual fund
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:22 pm
jtav559

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Can you elaborate on the work arounds?
Well I have done this a half dozen times in the last few years.

If the Mrs. is arriving somewhere before me and needs to check in, I just add her as the second guest on the Res'y made under my account. She checks in (usually mobile check in via app, sometimes at the desk) and is in the room without any issues. I have never had any issues with this method, and have never been asked to come by the front desk myself for any check in purposes. I know for a fact on at least 3 of the reservations I never spoke to the front desk, never even really walked by it, and was in and out of the hotel without a single interaction with front of the house staff. Diamond benefits were bestowed, breakfasts were free, lounges were accessed, etc. and had no issues.

So, the logic would follow that you could book a room for your spouse with you as the main guest and follow this routine w/o said main guest showing up.
Now, is this within the letter of the law and T & C's?
Not really.
Can you get away with it a few times?
Sure, but I wouldn't make a habit of it if your spouse is traveling alone without you present ALOT..... If you have a spouse that stays at a Hilton property enough on their own, wouldn't a Amex CC with status (be it Gold or Diamond depending on card type) be a good addition to their wallet?

Just my two cents as it pertains to my own travel patterns and experiences.