FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passenger With Coronavirus Dies On United Flight (UA591 MCO-LAX 14 Dec 2020)
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:23 pm
JNelson113

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by azepine00
Not supporting any lawsuits in general but it's naive to think this is some evil pax violating UA policies. UA actively promotes travel and they (along with other airlines) can implement pretravel test requirement to greatly improve safety. Not only they don't want to do that but they mostly removed most precautions introduced earlier - middles are not blocked, boarding and deplaning are barely controlled etc etc (but of course they went with all might after fussy 2 yo who didnt want to put on a mask)...
But this passenger and the family members absolutely did violate UA policies. I flew on UA today and when I checked in I had to affirm that I have not been diagnosed with covid nor have I recently been around anyone who has. UA is expecting passengers to answer these questions honestly. This family all lied and that is the crux of the issue. Of course UA would like to have customers, and as long as people act in good faith with these screening questions and then wear masks on the flight one could argue that the risk is not excessive and that a reasonable person can make a decision whether to assume this risk.

Flying during this pandemic requires a social contract among all those on the plane to not knowingly fly with covid and endanger the entire flight. I believe that these people were evil to do what they did.