FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:51 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Should there be a wiki detailing the status of the lawsuit? I haven't caught up with this thread though to give the latest details.
A lawyer friend of mine sent this to me last week

I thought you'd be interested to know that we got the decision in the Federal Court covid class action against the airlines this morning. https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf...89136/index.do

The judge accepted the defendants' arguments that the Federal Court did not have any jurisdiction over the claim so dismissed the case. There are three or four other claims in other provinces about this same issue so the issue as a whole is not dead, but the Federal Court claim, which was out front of the others procedurally, won't be moving forward. (subject to an appeal, which I'm sure will be filed in the next couple weeks)

I had asked him a couple of follow-up questions ("Is it fair to say this decision is a blow to consumers? I presume it would have been preferable to fight one federal case than to have to litigate in 10 provinces, and be subject to the vagaries of law from province to province?") and was waiting to hear back before posting, but since he hasn't yet replied, and you're asking, here you go

If you want to put this in a wiki, by all means, go ahead