FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Platinum reportedly considering changing ways to use $200 airline credit
Old Dec 6, 2020, 4:20 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by steve4
I think there's a possibility that AMEX might get rid of this credit altogether citing "difficulty in usage" and keep all the other benefits intact. A part of the rationale of this credit was to help make up for the loss in access to domestic airline lounges in the past before the Centurion lounges were built. Now that a number of Centurion lounges have been built in various cities, AMEX may soon feel the time is right to eliminate the airline incidental credit altogether. This may feel like a $200 increase in annual fee to many, but may not affect others as much.
They are already getting rid of the Gold credit... except they're replacing it with a $10 monthly credit for Uber/Uber Eats.

I hold the Hilton Aspire with a $250 credit, if they nerfed the credit for that card and didn't replace it with anything I'd likely downgrade the card- one free weekend night anywhere + $250 resort credit plus watered down Priority Pass doesn't quite make it worth a $450 AF.

It's kind of a bold take to have AMEX completely nerf a card benefit on their top of the line card, after a year where everyone couldn't use Platinum cards for airfare or lounges, and Chase made the CSR's travel credit usable on groceries and dining via PYB. "We know out major competitor expanded benefits, but our customers are eating from the palms of our hands, we can do what we want."

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 6, 2020 at 4:25 pm