FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveler arrested after flying SFO-LIH after positive result
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:02 pm
MDTyKe

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
[Redacted by moderator]

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/ka...-test-results/

This is very interested for many reasons. Primarily, for me as a Hawaii resident, as these were Hawaii residents returning home. No doubt this issue will come up more and more, but Hawaii has a unique stance to it as we cannot simply drive home. Well, we could take a canoe.. but... :-)

FYI: Original discussion by WeatherBoy: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ted-covid.html - Hopefully we can continue it here outside of the scope of UA.

Without taking over the initial post, here are my thoughts on this:

There is a moral side to this, a practical side, and a legal side

On a moral front:
- Should travelers with positive COVID-19 tests travel. What if they are "going home", and are stuck in another State like in this scenario
.. Note, that for Hawaii, people can travel *without* a test. It is not required to have a -ve test prior to travel. You need to Q on arrival

Unique to this story:
- It seems CDC were somehow involved, and tipped off police in LIH.
... I'm curious to see how this plays out.. can LIH on any grounds arrest someone who elected to fly home via federal airspace, and whom, on arrival, was going to go home to quarantine anyway
- Why Are CDC involved? Are they still doing testing after CBP in SFO? (I strongly suspect this wasn't a domestic connection)
- What if they got a positive result mid-flight; would LIH still arrest them on arrival.
- What happens to the plane full of pax? What if one gets sick and has serious medical bills? No real evidence it was "them"?

And in general..
- What happens if you are in SFO, and get a rapid test that comes back +ve. You can't necessarily drive home - maybe you live in FL, or are connecting to HI where it is physically impossible. Rental companies won't rent to you.. Are you stuck with a $200/night airport hotel for up to 1 month until you get a negative test? On a layover? What if the hotel's require a negative test - as they do in Hawaii, and will not rent to you?

What interesting times we live in. I'm very curious if there are lawyers here who may have input too, as no doubt stuff will soon start hitting the fan with cases like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 2, 2020 at 11:54 pm Reason: Comment on moderation is against FT rules; consecutive posts merged