FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:20 am
thijsseh
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Thanks again for the answer. Another question popped up in my head..... As it relates to the COVID alert app that it is required to be installed, do you need to show that on your phone as part of the screening process in JNB or do they just take your word for it? My fear is that when I start the app in front of an inspector in JNB, if somewhere, somehow I was exposed to someone who reported on the app as having COVID from the time I deplaned in JNB and walked to passport control, would that force me to quarantine? It should be unlikely since passengers wouldn't be at a point to start getting alerts from the environment, but what if I walk by one of the airport staff who may have used the app to alert others to their COVID exposure.

I'm thinking I should shut off blue tooth on the phone until I'm past that inspection point if one even exists, or keep it shut off unless they ask to verify it. I'd be curious to see how they handle someone who doesn't have a phone. In my wife's case she's not bringing her phone since she has no use for it in ZA.
My own experience (plus hearsay from others) is that no-one asks anything about that app. I arrived into JNB just over two weeks ago, I had dutifully installed it on my phone. If you are concerned, I would suggest you disable Bluetooth as you mention. And as you say, possession of a smartphone can hardly be a requirement so enforcement is difficult to say the least!

On your other post: the requirement is to have a negative Covid test of a sample which was taken less than 72 hours before you started your itinerary (i.e. the departure date / time of the first flight on your PNR). They do check your certificate but I am not at all sure how closely they examine it.