FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA greed in a time of very low demand
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:35 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wb1969
I recently had a weekend in GIB, flying at the back of the bus. I had thought about booking exit row seats for each leg but BA wanted £40+ for each leg of the journey. This was more than the actual cost of my ticket.

On both legs of the trip the plane was about 25% full and none of the exit row seats were taken. Once the doors were closed, I asked if I could move to an exit row, and both times I was allowed. Total cost to me - £0.

I appreciate there is little appetite to fly in these difficult times, but surely no-one in their right mind is going to pay the exorbitant seat selection fees on short haul, so would BA not be better off just removing seat selection fees for the foreseeable future, perhaps in the hope of stimulating a little more demand?
I would suggest both you and BA were equally involved in this dance. Moreover non exit row seats would not have been £40. So perhaps the better answer would be for BA to look at the cost of seat selection since I guess that if it was say £10 you would have paid? Except, of course someone else may have got their first (and thus annoyed a status passenger looking to enjoy this perk), and so to that extent the £40 helped you. And the lower thresholds for status would be another approach.