FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why is Delta IT so poor?
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:28 am
HDQDD

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
OP: Your feature requests != poor IT. Those feature requests (all but your last item, which could be a bug) you think they should have are corner cases at best. Just like any enterprise IT organization, you prioritize requests by the impact. Adding those requests provides benefit to maybe 1 in 1000 DL customers. Not to mention, they can be handled by other means (i.e. the web). This is all assuming that you know what you're doing, you didn't provide any info so we don't know.

News flash: all airline OS (and pretty much every OS I've ever used) have a CLI (that's command line interface for the uninitiated). They might have a nice GUI (Graphical User Interface) on top of it, but the CLI is always there and always more powerful. You can't implement features in a GUI if the underlying functionality isn't available via CLI. But you can do the opposite.

When I was an agent for UA, I hated the UI, so I always used the Apollo CLI. I could check people in in about half the time using the CLI. There were many features, especially around pricing and ticketing that were only available via CLI.

Even on macOS I have a terminal window open all the time so I can run commands that aren't available in the UI. Is that an Apple IT failure...of course not. In general the more features you add, the more complicated the UI gets. There are plenty of commands that simply don't need to be in the UI.

MS-DOS running airlines...I got a good loller out of that.