FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earning Amex MR points through Rakuten (ebates) [Consolidated]
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:02 am
TravelingZoomer

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Amex MR rebates through Rakuten

Given it's cyber Monday and the prevalence of cyber shopping is as present as ever, I figured it's worth it to create a thread to compile a list of attractive deals through Rakuten. @MoDs if there is enough interest perhaps I can help maintain a wiki, as these offers come and go so it could be useful to double check when a recent high offer was.

What is Rakuten?
Rakuten means "optimism" in Japanese, and is formerly known as ebates. Essentially, it's one of the biggest shopping portals out there. Merely download the rakuten browser extension to your preferred browser or download the Rakuten app for mobile. How it works, before you do any shopping remember to click on the Rakuten symbol at the top corner of OR go to the Rakuten app on your phone and open the portal before you shop as normal. There are offers than range anywhere from 1% - 99% cashback.

What's the catch? Why would stores offer more discounts?
I'm not smart enough to answer this; all I know is that smart FTers will take advantage. Some behavioral economist can chime in this probably creates more sales or whatever, I just appreciate the opportunity to triple dip.

Triple dip?
Yes! The beauty of Rakuten, or any online shopping portal, is that it stacks with BOTH credit card multipliers and Amex offers. Talk about a win-win-win.

Example: A want to use up saks 5th credits. I have a x6 multiplier offer on my Amex card. There's currently a 15% rebate offer on Saks 5th purchases through Rakuten shopping portal. A make a 100$ purchase. Math: 1x Amex multiplier on MR card + 6x Amex offer + 15% rebate

Okay sounds good, but why in this AMEX forum?
Glad you asked! The beauty of Rakuten is that they have a partnership with Amex that instead of opting for a cash rebate, you can get the equivalent 1MR per .01. Just add an eligible Amex card to your wallet and you can opt for Amex Rewards in you account settings.

Last edited by mia; Nov 30, 2020 at 7:06 am Reason: Remove referral offer