Old Nov 29, 2020, 2:10 am
Howard Long

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Denied boarding, tricky one

Folks

I had an Avios redemption itinerary today

29/11 QR6 LHR-DOH 07:20-17:00
30/11 QR9 DOH-LHR 01:40-06:20

with the intention of having an airside business meeting during the eight or so hours coinciding with my supplier coming in at 23:05 from HKG.

I was denied boarding by Qatar at check in after about 90 minutes of toing and froing between myself, the check in agents, and behind the scenes at Qatar.

Despite the fact that I had no intention of entering Qatar (I also presented a paper copy of my airside transit hotel booking), I was denied boarding, as I was told I would still need to be granted immigration status for travel despite remaining in the transit area. I am a UK PP holder.

OK so be it. I asked QR to make relevant notes in my booking, and as they're sharing T5 & it was an Avios redemption I popped directly over to BA where an agent organised similar notes to add to the booking, demonstrating that I had turned up to the airport with the intention of travelling, but had been denied boarding.

I've just called up the BA Gold line, and after some time I am told I have two choices, either accept the taxes+fees+surcharges-£35 admin charge but no Avios, or make a complaint. The Gold line agent did try to get a voucher for future travel, but that was disallowed.

So I guess my next step, if I am to stand any chance of the Avios refunded or a voucher would be to go through the complaints procedure, unless anyone has any other suggestions?