FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AstraZeneca [and other] vaccine trial experience
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:01 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Thanks! Since this is flyertalk I have a travel related question.

I'm sure by now you've heard that Qantas is going to require a vaccine passport, and I'm sure many other airlines/countries will follow also.

By being part of this study, I'm assuming on day 720 or whatever you'll be told "you were given a real vaccine not a placebo". Is that correct, or will you never find out? If you did get a real vaccine, how will you get the proper proof documentation so that you can take a Qantas flight in the future do you know / was this covered or discussed at all?

Since you mentioned that the study followups run till day 720 does that mean you can not allowed to take a real vaccine if one becomes available before then (if you got a placebo), which means you won't realistically be able to go to countries requiring a vaccine till da 720?
Great questions. I don't have specific answers, but I know the following:
  • I am free to leave the study at any time and for any reason
  • At some point it is unethical to keep a placebo group on a placebo for a potentially lethal disease if there are drugs that offer protection

I also mentioned that there was some reference to the placebo group being vaccinated with whatever vaccine becomes approved and using that as the control. With that, I might assume that should the AZ or other vaccine receive some level of approval that the placebo group will be notified and vaccinated. At that point, the vaccine group would probably be informed as well.

I'd love to hear other's thoughts though as that isn't specifically mentioned in the information I have. It would be interesting to also know if I leave the study, am I informed of what I received? I would think they might tell me but I don't know for sure.

Edit: In any case, I could always get an antibody test in 6 months and make a decision then. If I was antibody negative, assume I'm in the placebo group and get another vaccine should it be available.

Last edited by TTT; Nov 24, 2020 at 7:25 am