FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AstraZeneca [and other] vaccine trial experience
Old Nov 24, 2020, 3:11 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TTT
It's now about three hours later and I feel fine. A doctor at my wife's clinic is also in the study and reported rigors, fever, chills, and malaise the day after his first vaccination. Of course, I would like to feel something but I don't think I want to feel really awful so we'll see how the next day goes..
Many thanks for taking the time to write that up, it's very interesting. But thank you, too, for your service here. If we get over this pandemic it will thanks to people like you who have taken on this important responsibility, to help humanity.

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Since you mentioned that the study followups run till day 720 does that mean you can not allowed to take a real vaccine if one becomes available before then (if you got a placebo), which means you won't realistically be able to go to countries requiring a vaccine till da 720?
It is mentioned in the report in respect of switching vaccines, but the standard protocol in this area is that people who volunteer for testing should not be disadvantaged. So if this or another vaccine is recommended to the OP, s/he wil be allowed to go ahead with that if they wish (and if you think about it, from a voluntary point of view it would be impossible to prevent anyway). As you can see, this study generates a wealth of information and even if there is a handbrake turn in the middle the OP's data will remain valuable. If the USA works like the UK, the rollout of vaccines will be a bit like boarding call. So group 1 boarding first, then boarding group 1 and group 2, and so on. So the OP's medical boarding card may be a little way down the process in terms of timing, and thus gives more information to the University of Oxford team.

There is also a separate provision where if the evidence is so overwhelming, for ethical reasons the placebo group will get fast tracked for the proper vaccine.