FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]
Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:00 am
cheltzel

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by konagirl2
When the announcements were made that international borders were reopening, there was mention in the press releases that foreign travellers would need insurance that would cover the costs of quarantine, if the traveller showed symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus on arrival. Actually, the Gazette (the legislation) only requires that the passenger be quarantined "at his or her cost": https://www.gov.za/sites/default/fil...97gon1199s.pdf

For visitors from the UK the difficulty is that the UK FCDO is still maintaining their advice against all but essential travel, which places most high-street insurance policies invalid. I personally would never travel without insurance that covers medical and repatriation at a minimum.
+1 ... I have been on business trips where both local medical travel insurance and medical repatriation travel was required (not by me luckily!!). If the traveller did not have this coverage, the results would have been devastating for that traveller.

If it develops that the government of South Africa does not require documentation of a policy that covers COVID-19 treatment, there are other countries that have started requiring this and I feel it is a good standard for purchasing this type of insurance.