FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:49 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
For those curious about what prints out on a Nordstrom receipt when using contactless:

(The terminal didn't turn on until the cashier pushed something on her end, so I have no idea if they went with Quick Chip when they turned on contactless or if the contact EMV side is still the same. The purchase was also too small to trigger PIN entry with my UNFCU credit card--assuming Nordstrom actually supports online PIN--so no idea there, either.)

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
Confirmed! Just leaves two food places I visit without NFC: Wendy's and Mission BBQ
The Wendy's locations inside Pilots do, though. However, those use Pilot's POS and terminal setup and not Wendy's.

Anyway, I guess Wendy's is still going to push whatever they're pushing instead of NFC (I don't go there often, so I have no idea what kind of app/QR based thing they're doing--if anything.) Unfortunately, that's not really a surprise considering they only bothered with contact EMV after their data breach forced them to. At least most of the other retailers that had data breaches didn't make public comments against EMV beforehand, so I cut those a bit more slack.

EDIT: just realized that I think someone mentioned here before some app-based thing Wendy's is doing, but I don't recall offhand what it was.

Originally Posted by Majuki
Mrs. Majuki and I haven't eaten at too many restaurants in the last 3 months other than getting takeout or counter service, but only one of the restaurants that we went to back in June had a payment portal option by scanning a QR code. Unless there's better integration with the mobile payment systems, it's just easier to hand the card to the waitstaff. I paid online to provide the dp on this thread, but I wouldn't do it again.
Island's (sit-down burger chain) was doing the QR code on receipt thing just before the initial stay at home order here in California. The portal it sent me to seemed to be hosted/run by NCR themselves and presumably linked with the restaurant's Aloha POS system. Unfortunately, it only allowed me to manually enter a CC#--no Apple/Google Pay support--so like you said, it was easier just to hand the server my card.

Anyway, Clover recently released a QR based system similar to what NCR's doing, so it's still possible it'll become more common over time. It also supported Apple Pay at launch and probably supports Google Pay by now too, though we haven't been to one yet to try it.

Originally Posted by Majuki
The pandemic has favored customer facing terminals and accelerated contactless adoption at retail stores and counter service restaurants (and better card adoption in general), but I think once sit down restaurants reopen widely that it will be like it was before. Except for that one restaurant, the rest still brought the bill in a folio to the table as before and took the card away to process the payment.
You're probably right. For instance, there are a lot of restaurants around here that look like they could at least do contactless for takeout orders, but aren't doing so. In fairness to them, however, there's likely less contact between the staff and takeout customers as the ones in our neighborhood tend to have customers wait by the front entrance for their orders (while cards are taken elsewhere).

Long term, though, I suspect the majority of restaurants are going to go under anyway. The rest will likely permanently reduce their dependence on dine-in customers, too, making a lot of the discussion on them supporting contactless moot. I really hope I'm wrong on the former as that's a significant chunk of the economy going away.

Last edited by tmiw; Nov 19, 2020 at 5:26 pm