FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SCMP: CX axing IAD, BRU, LGW, EWR, SEA, DUB and MLE permanently
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:25 am
garykung
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CLT
Personally, I cannot understand why the WAS market struggles with its East Asian services. There is a daily ICN service on KE (77W pre-COVID), a HND service on both UA and NH (772 and 77W respectively), and PEK on both UA and CA (787-8 and 77W, respectively). WAS is soon to be the third largest metro area in the country, and is by far the metro area with the highest income. A common argument is that IAD fails to attract long-haul routes because of the nature of the market (government-related travel). While government-related travel is important, I argue that the region has become very diversified within the last 15 years or so to the point where it isn't as large of a factor. I would have expected IAD to have both TPE (BR announced plans for IAD years back but never started) and PVG service by now (COVID-free world).
But there is one thing you seem to forget - IAD is the only "international" airport in the area. The majority of AA flights are operated out of DCA instead. Do you believe that AA will schedule a IAD-DCA shuttle?

FWIW - it does not matter whether the market is large or not, rich or not rich. The reality is simple - no demand. Before CX entering the market, UA was the only airline capable of operating IAD-HKG, if desired. Given all the data UA has, if the demand was there, wouldn't you believe that UA would not cash on that?

Originally Posted by tentseller
BOS HKG serve the oversea student market plus there are more Chinese diaspora with HK roots in the Boston area.
International students can barely justify a seasonal flight. But for regular service, you need more.

FWIW - given all the research facilities near Boston, there should be some demand. But I am afraid that BOS is already on the chopping board. It is lucky for now not to meet the cut. Don't forget you get YYZ and JFK nearby, which makes transfer quite easy.