FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:03 pm
Concerto
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Based on the previous experience (Swiss had BOB around 2003/4 for a few months) it will be the Coop offering, for twice the price Coop is charging. Coop is the high quality retailer, therefore the quality of the offering was good, but the price was obviously outrageous. And ... no raclette or fondue, I'm afraid.
The Swiss BoB stuck around until 2007 actually, and after a promising start the quality just got worse and worse. I think one of the problems was that a lot of the flights were offered as a one class affair, especially on the smaller planes. I recall one anecdote, which possibly helped generate enough steam for them to rescind the BoB idea back then, when a passenger who had booked 1st class from Birmingham to somewhere in the US wanted something on the BHX-ZRH flight, a bottle of water and a snack I think. They asked him for payment and, well, he kicked up such a stink and noise at having to pay for a bit of basic service when he had spent well of 10,000 pounds for his 1st class ticket, that the reverberations were felt long after. They got a lot of things wrong back then.