FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any updates on 2021 Medallion status requirements?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:40 pm
The Situation

Originally Posted by drminn
I personally am impressed with DL's handling of this. This to me is an indication of a well run business based on longer term thinking. They are not reacting on a weekly or monthly basis, depending on which way the wind blows in a particular week. It turns out their initial analysis of the situation and subsequent handling of the medallion program was spot on, even though at the time it seemed very generous. I expect they will come up with a similar well thought out plan for 2022.
The pandemic necessitated many changes in shopping habits and in most cases, I found the early bird got the worm because it provided certainty during a time of great uncertainty. I now shop at a lot of stores that I never would have considered before. Given how much uncertainty there is in the world right now, DL should realize that their customers will respond the best to certainty and assurance especially given the positive reaction they received to being the leader in extending status.

2021 is going to be a mess for anyone trying to predict demand and so it will be impossible to match the program to what demand will be. By delaying the announcement, I do not see this as long term thinking, but short term thinking trying to squeeze every penny out of 2021. Long term thinking would be to get out early and 1) match AA's announcement 2) give current medallion members a slightly lower bar to prevent them from fleeing to carriers that provide better amenities 3) give clarity as to when amenities will improve, if ever. That would provide me the certainty I need to stick with the brand. Without certainty, I will probably test out AA and AS.