FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:32 am
007shinobi

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Yeah, I was on that T-Mobile Global Plus Unlimited briefly. They really pissed me off one month when I barely used any data. I think one time I was at ~ 100mb domestic and ~110mb in London for a pay cycle. I got a nastygram from T-Mo threatening to cut me off for the service I was paying $70/month + $50/month for. Their "abuse" calculation is just a simple ratio of data consumed domestic vs data consumed international. I found out later people get around this issue by just streaming tons of useless data when back home to goose the ratio. While I get this for their "free" roaming, the people paying $50/month for 15GB-Unlimited (depending on when you signed up) should really be given a bit of leeway. Google FI uses a much better mechanism where they monitor how much TIME you spend abroad. On FI you only run into trouble if you spend ~3-6months abroad without returning to the US and hitting a US cell tower. For someone like me that travels at least 1 week a month, I never had an issue on FI.
Yeah T-Mobile's practice sounds like you basically have to abuse data domestically to get past the international roaming calculation... I assume you have to do the same for voice if you want to make international roaming calls without the nastygram.

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
Not an AT&T customer, but you should expect that to happen (meaning be prepared for it). I was on the Verizon global unlimited plan for a number of years using my blackberry and first iPhone. Then they did the same thing. “oh, you bought a new iPhone? Sorry, that means you will have to have anew SIM and, sorry, no unlimited global data for you”.
I think Verizon went as far as audit personal accounts that still had Unlimited Global Data and removed the feature automatically so they were pretty much hell bent on anyone keeping it .

Originally Posted by kupe
Well, so far I've had three iPhones with the same ATT sim with my grandfathered Unlimited International LTE plan. iPhone 5S, iPhone 8, and my current iPhone Xs. It was all seamless- swap sims and voila- done. If there is any glitch moving to a 5G iPhone 12, then it will be the first time there was any issue. Fingers crossed. So far have not heard from anyone who made this move with my plan, so hoping to get some first hand reports.
Keep us posted, does the picture of your 5G iPhone 12 show up on your AT&T account? Or is it your previous device?

I wonder if anyone here still has the Worldwide Unlimited standalone Blackberry, I heard there was an LTE variant for personal but I've only had it for a company line before.