FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maldives hotel recommendations
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:31 am
ngfan

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Planning to go back to the Maldives next year. I think it is the most complicated luxury travel destination to choose the right resort out of the vast array of choices as there are so many variables like transfer type, cost, style, island size, number of rooms, surroundings, sand quality, diving, mosquitos, house reef, guest structure, noise, overall value etc.

Example: I love Gili (service, food, short transit time by boat, large OW villa) but you need to be aware of were your specific accommodation is located as with most resorts in the Maldives. PR pics usually don't show the eyesores that even exist in a perceived paradise! I love a Lagoon Villa away from Paradise Island facing the main restaurant in the distance. Best water and sand conditions (no stones and corals), great fish coming by your villa on occasion. A little noise exposure to boat traffic in the distance and by aircraft (both seaplanes and longhaul stuff) though. Didn't like the locations of the Residences and (in part) the other piers that much (lights, views, smoke/smell).

Just saw a more recent yt video of 4S LG and don't feel tempted to go there just based on layout and (IMO way outdated) style, esp. in light of their price point.

Love both COMOs and they have been my favs so far (with and without kid). Cocoa is great for a first stop to settle in for a few days, then moving on to Maalifushi by direct seaplane transfer. Both had and still have excellent management, service and marvelous food. After Cocoa renovations, Maalifushi even offers the best value for luxury/money-ratio now IMO.

Still wonder how the new Fari Islands development with three luxury resorts (Ritz-Carlton, Capella and Patina) will fare next year...(modern design, man-made islands with big names in architecture like Kengo Kuma and André Fu).