FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A SoCal Thanksgiving - The OC, San Diego, Catalina, Amtrak, Private Helicopter
Old Nov 15, 2020, 7:34 am
SFO777
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by glasman19
Received my November edition of Hemisphere magazine today and just finished their article on del Coronado and their on going rehab before catching your report. 😜 If you get it, worth the read. Looking forward to your Catalina review.
Thank you glasman19 and the for info about the Hemisphere article. It's on page 20...
https://www.hemispheresmag.com/wp-co...EDUCED_PDF.pdf

Originally Posted by cmd320
Great photos! Funny because I was in San Diego just last weekend and had literally walked right by Santa Fe Depot and down that sidewalk by the Intercontinental towards the bay. The weird 'shrink-wrapped' aircraft carrier was there too.
Thanks very much cmd320. What a small world. Hope your weather was similarly beautiful.

Originally Posted by Duck1981
That's going to be a great TR as usual! Isn't that the aircraft carrier which was in San Diego already last year autumn - I believe I googled this one up and the ship is there for heavy maintenance which takes roughly 3 years or so and costs more than a billion dollars (don't quote me on that, cannot remember the details) In any case impressive for a European guy to see that thing in relative close proximity.
Thanks so much Duck1981. For the naval enthusiast, San Diego is a great place to visit and explore.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It was fun to see your pictures of Encinitas. The first picture shows the mosaic of the Surfing Madonna, very controversial when the artist surreptitiously installed it under the train tracks at night without permission. It's been moved a couple times and seems to now be in its forever home, roughly across the street from where it was first installed. The Self Realization Fellowship Temple is a real landmark in Encinitas. It will be beautiful to see it lit up for Christmas. It's followers have given land to the Fellowship that means some highly valuable coastal land is used for gardens to grow produce for those living at the Fellowship. Then there's the stretch of restaurants right on the beach at the south end of Encinitas/Cardiff starting with Pacific Coast Grill. Outside dining there offers a great view of the waves rolling in.
Thank you SanDiego1K and for some interesting local flavor of a beautiful part of the country.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Good grief!! The USS Midway looks huge. Maybe I now regret never visiting, but I always chose Napa Valley as a quick break when I was in the USA on business. Priorities....
Thanks roadwarrier. Indeed, you don't really appreciate the size and magnitude until you see in person and from different angles.