FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Delta Recalling Fleet From Victorville Into Service?
Old Nov 12, 2020, 5:10 pm
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could there be some expensive maintenance requirements if a commercial airliner stays parked for too long? If so, it could be cost effective to rotate the fleet.
Short answer is yes but I believe that planes that were sent to Victorville were all prepped for long term storage (it's traditional long term desert storage and not the ad hoc post-pandemic storage of a lot of planes). They get sealed up and special preservation fluid is put in place of the standard oil among other things.

There was an effort to rotate planes earlier on in the pandemic that were short parked at random airports (e.g. Birmingham) to avoid the re-introduction inspections but this is on a much shorter term basis.. I believe that rolling the tires and starting up the engine weekly prolongs the cycle but at some point they have to be in the air to avoid additional maintenance. I'm not an expert here though so someone with more knowledge than me would need to chime in on this.