View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 20, 11:52 am
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jim98 View Post
Can anyone explain why it's twice as expensive to fly LHR to Durban as it is is to fly LHR to Cape Town when the distances are similar?
Originally Posted by Jim98 View Post
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Availability probably?
This is for early next October so I didn't think it was that
It's so far away that there should still be plenty of tins of the cheaper brands of baked beans sitting on the shelf? Just like "pence per mile", availability doesn't work like that either. It's important to remember that "no availability" does not mean "flight is full".

The problem here absolutely is availability. The lowest available booking classes on flights to DUR are B, W and C, and only on the non-stop flights. There is no availability on BA-coded flights between JNB and DUR or between CPT and DUR, nor on SA. I don't remember any other airlines interlining with BA to take you on to DUR from either JNB or CPT. Hence the non-stops from London are your only BA option for getting to DUR.

It doesn't take much to work out why - even though the flights almost certainly have very few reservations on them - BA is only taking reservations for these flights at expensive fares.