FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Nov 2, 2020, 7:20 am
AnandC

Programs: Gold Member w/Hilton & Marriott
October 2021

Hello Everyone,

I have booked for October 01 - October 06, 2021 to celebrate my daughter's birthday at Waldorf Astoria Maldives.
Previously we had booked for Conrad Maldives but due to covid-19, we cancelled our plans as our booking was in April and the flights were cancelled too. That turned out to be good for us because we wanted a luxury stay and my wife & I were not very happy with the rooms at Conrad (they're outdated and old) but since it was through points redemption, we were ok as it was our first time and definitely Conrad wasn't bad for the start. Then later I went through the forums and found out Waldorf standard room is only for 1,20,000 and the room is much better and spacious. Like I had to pay at Conrad Maldives for upgrade to Deluxe Overwater Villa which is nothing compared to King Ocean Villa with Pool at Waldorf Astoria. Well honestly, there's no comparison because Conrad is old property but that doesn't mean it's not a good property, it comes down to personal preference. Our preference is more about the villa and not the reef. Since it's our first time, everything will look and feel good about Maldives. We are already very excited for Waldorf Maldives and let's hope we get good weather when we reach there.

I have been in touch with the hotel via emails. I had booked King Reef Villa (had no idea there was an option to book King Ocean Villa with Pool but nevertheless, they were generous to upgrade me since I asked for Overwater Villa). I learnt from the forum that King Ocean Villa with Pool is the same as Overwater Villa, it's just the difference in points redemption. I am attaching photos of Mini Bar, Peacock Alley Beverage Menu (I want to buy alcohol bottle, any tips are welcome on alcohol purchase at the hotel) & WA Activity Brochure since we want to do our first diving (please suggest us which one to go for from the brochure).

I need one help from you'll. Can you tell me which King Ocean Villa with Pool has unobstructed view. Like we just want to see the ocean and nothing ahead. Not even villas far away. Totally unobstructed view. We obviously would love to have a nice view of sunset but I don't want to be very greedy since we have booked via points, I can understand the hotel cannot give the best overwater villa under points redemption but an unobstructed view would be very nice. If any tips on that, please do let me know.

Overall, the forum has helped a lot to learn about the restaurants and everything else. Already looking forward to this trip. It's going to be magical and dream. We never thought our first trip to Maldives would be so exciting. The villas look absolutely breathtaking and they're very big (3045sq ft). I know a lot of people from India are going to Taj Exotica Maldives and when I compare that to Waldorf Astoria Maldives, it's just amazing. The rooms in Taj Exotica Maldives are very small. Even when I compare the rooms with Marriott hotels in Maldives, they're still smaller by 1000sq ft compared to Waldorf Astoria. We were even planning to go St Regis Maldives but it's a small property and Ritz Carlton Maldives too but the roundtrip cost was going about USD2300 (they charge infants too) and would have to pay for breakfast too (even for Gold Members as I am one). I'm a Gold Member with Hilton so we save the cost for the breakfast and USD1300 for transport from Male to hotel doesn't really hurt as much as USD2300. Overall, we thought not only Waldorf Astoria will be reasonable at price but a better experience. I'm aware the coral reef is not the best at Waldorf Astoria but we don't even know what's the best reef to start with. As I said, anything for now at Maldives will be pure magical once we experience and learn more.

Thanks everyone for your help.

P.S - Please help us on scuba diving. It's our first but we would to experience magical Maldives Underwater.

Peacock Alley Beverage Menu

Mini Bar Menu
Waldorf Astoria Activity Brochure