FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checking into a hotel during a pandemic
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:28 am
zerolife

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Bumping this thread to ask a question: from a covid standpoint, how comfortable would people be with staying at a hotel in NYC over the next week or so? I'm taking some time off work but don't really have a desire to go off somewhere else all by myself. Yet I really need a change of scenery - I've been stuck alone in my apartment for eight months, and I'm just sick of it.

I have sanitizing wipes that I can use to wipe down surfaces in the room, and I'm not too concerned about the possibility of catching the virus from touching surfaces anyway. But I'm a bit wary of virus transmission from other rooms via the heating system, or from the elevator. Are these realistic concerns, or am I just being overly anxious?

I haven't spent a night away from my apartment since January, and I think I really need some time away for my mental health. Yet the thought of being somewhere around unknown people gives me pause.
I think cases in NYC is lower than many other places in the US. Plus there was recently an article that hotel occupancy rate in NYC averages 10% so front desk should be able to get you a room that is more isolated and/or has been unoccupied for couple of days.