FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:09 am
joecool1885

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by james0499
Interesting... when you were in 508/506 did you ever wish you were on the other side/missing out on anything? I don't know if to just let them allocate tbh as there doesn't seem to be a 'bad' standard RV to be fair.

Sadly no availability for any 1 bed OWV or RV, only Grand BV. Only 2 queen bedded and don't fancy that. Looks like it's gonna be a busy week.
Didn't really feel like we were missing out. We were offered a free move to the other side or an OWV for a couple nights at the end of our stay, but declined. I went to an outcropping on the ocean side of the 500s one evening, and the runway lights at MLE were the most prominent feature of that view. Dont recall how it looked in the day.
If any villas had as good a view as at Amber, then I might've been inclined to move.

View from villa #506 (Grand Reef Villa)

Finally got my points dispute resolved... well, as resolved as it can be...
Email came back in broken English, so tough to tell exactly how I was credited.
On a bill of ~$8700 pre tax and service fees, looks like I got points on ~$6400.

From the email "However, we have also received the information regarding your "package dinner" and the hotel team informed that the dinner package which was attached for availing half board credit in one of the reservation for which we have given the points and also as a special case Guest’s one night was booked via TA which also we have issue the points on extras"

So this confuses me. I booked one night at the Stella Maris through a travel agent, which included half board. We gave up the half board (which would have applied only at a select couple of restaurants) in favor of destination dining at the villa. So this makes it sound like they charged me to NOT use the half board credit? Was half board like a requirement where I go eat out and get half of it covered but I'm still expected to pay the rest??? I dunno, but it was a $300+ charge, so I plan to contact the hotel directly to figure it out.
Also, their message makes it sound like they gave me points for the destination dining even though it was on a night we booked with the travel agent, so if that's the case, then what charges are still excluded from earning points????

Anyways, its all very confusing, but I think I'm settling for the 191,000 points + the other 150,000 I'll earn from putting the bill on my Aspire card.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 4, 2020 at 8:15 pm Reason: Consolidation.