FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - canceled DL AMEX Plat after partner devaluation
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:22 pm
FullFare

canceled DL AMEX Plat after partner devaluation

After looking at recent devaluation of DL partner award miles potential, both my wife and I cancelled our DL AMEX Plat cards today. Didn't think it was likely to happen, after 12+ yrs, but we both woke up and took stock of where we are in the cosmos. Especially with recent sudden announcement of award miles devaluation, loss of route flying options, and hassles with the Covid issues.

Truth be told, we're not flying much now (who is?) We used to, to the tune of 250,000 K annually, spread over DL>AA>AS and even UA and HA. We are both EXP on AA perennially, and are lifetime UA Premier exec 200k. We gave up on UA a few years ago when we were just a little short of 3mm, because we got too pi$$ed off with the service and went over, big time, to DL. Made 1mm (Silver lifetime) in less than 4 yrs and were DM for yrs in a row. Never could use a lot of the certificates we earned, so tried to give 'em to grandkids. Eventually, just booked as many cash equivalent items on the choice benefits as we could.

We found DL the best of the bunch, for airline service and reliability from where we are in the SF Bay Area. We both just hit 1K lifetime on DL. As I said, we're just not flying that much---on any carrier---anywhere, anymore. Covid just lasting too long. Not fun wearing a mask on 6 hr flights, even in F. So we were plunking down many 100's on airline credit cards that weren't worth it. We deep-mixed hotel credit cards, too. Hyatt Plat, Marriott, and Fairmont, among others. We're on the cusp of getting rid of IHG. We got rid of Chase and UA long ago. Just got rid of HA's Barclay's cards, too. BTW, Barclays is a very inept card provider. They're slow and screw up a lot. Don't know why anyone would have their Aviator card.

We are keeping the AMEX Plat (most expensive of the bunch), because it gets us into sky miles lounge if we fly and the arrangement to accumulate a lot of points on airline tx is fairly attractive. We are Lifetime Aairpass, so that helps with AA, but AA has close to abandoned us in the Bay Area. We also keep the AS Visa because we do need a VISA card for Costco and do like the AS service from where we are in the Bay Are to HI. My crusade has saved $1400 in card renewals thus far, and we're looking for more.

When we heard of the miles devaluation planned for future DL partners and checked it out, we became convinced. Bummer. I think DL and other carriers who are doing this are misguided. For now, there are a lot of empty seats in premium classes. Why not get rid of the inventory of seats remaining and book them to the souls who have miles in the till to try and use?

I always liked Ed Bastian, but this last move was a little bit over the top. Someone said, "the Airlines are all the same, just different paint on the planes"
Maybe so, we'll see. Wonder how others are feeling about the miles thing.

Bottom line to Ed: Was not the best time to start devaluing miles.

Thanks for listening. Check on what's in your wallet. Might save $$.

Thx