FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - rumor : new upgrade co-payment effective 01dec04
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:45 am
JonNYC
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Jon, please let us know as soon as you hear whether or not this applies to VIP upgrades.
So far no one has indicated to me that VIPs are involved in tomorrows announcement. I'd be tempted to assume that they may hit the VIPs with some kind of fare class restriction at some point to match-- but that is purely dumb speculation.

Thing about this change is, since it applies to all non-full(ish) fares, some tickets could easily be $1000(or more) + 50,000 miles (more to Asia) + $500 r/t. More extreme examples as well, I'm sure.

Personally, I don't think the whole thing was thought out very well-- even if it was inevitable. At the very least, it should have been a different amount for "deep discount (.5 point)" vs. "discount (1 point)" fares, IMHO.

Or, I think I would have even preferred them just making "deep discount" fares non-upgradable w/ miles-- since "deep discount" + $500 r/t, you'd be better off buying a "discount" fare instead anyway in most cases-- again, MHO.