FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Oct 24, 2020, 2:15 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jorun
There is a little misunderstanding.
Let's say that the original flight departure is on 10 November 2020 and the system will move the flight to 11 November 2020. You are notified about the date change on 28 October 2020.
Are you sure that after you have flown you can ask to BA to reimburse the hotel for the extra night?
In the past BA have certainly paid up in this scenario, and I don't think they have a choice about that, there isn't any advance notice timelines mentioned in Article 9, Right to Care. There is a timeline in terms of rescheduling of flights (2 weeks, to simplify), so EC261 would have mentioned that if it was relevant for Right to Care. Now I have no doubt that BA are going to do their best to stop unnecessary expenditure, but there is no get-out clause on Right to Care, or rather if they re-routed people on other airlines they could mitigate this, they generally choose not to do so. I say generally, since if you end up in a hotel and it happens to be a route which has a rerouting policy, e.g. involving Iberia, then obviously you wouldn't be well place to argue BA refusal to pay up. There are a range of assumptions I am making here (e.g. you don't live in the city where the delay happens).