FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AY+ Eliminates plastic cards
View Single Post
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:52 pm
miamiflyer8

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by atreides
I'm extremely unhappy that plastic cards are no longer available. I don't know what planet Finnair are living on, but it certainly isn't the one their members are in. To say a physical card isn't necessary is a complete load of tripe, there are times where having a physical card is a must.
Exactly. Usually it's a power-tripping and/or incompentent dragon who asks for it.

I get eliminating basic cards and Silver ones too since they are rarely useful but for Gold or higher they should be available ON REQUEST. This way, AY can do cost cutting but also not punish members who need a card.

Originally Posted by ffay005
Would you have concrete examples of outstations (check-in staff, lounges?) where you've been asked for the physical card?
ARN T2 Menzies has asked for it at least twice from me despite status and lounge invitation being embedded in the boarding pass. Both paper and mobile. Once at ARN T2 Fast Track, automated gate beeped red despite having proper credentials. Agent was courteous to type me in manually but wanted the card.

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
No need nowadays. AY boarding pass is ok.
Yeah, might be the case ex-HEL but some outstations can be a b¡tch.

Originally Posted by atreides
Some examples where a physical card is helpful:
- Some airlines or outposts don't print frequent flyer numbers or status on boarding passes
- There have been countless times in Asia or Oceana where I've been asked to show a physical AY status card when my status doesn't show up on the system. At check-in and at the lounge.
- Accessing AY partner benefits such as discounts with Europcar.
- Although I use a smart phone there are plenty of those who don't. They provide a weak excuse about not needing a physical card in the absence of the app, but this is wrong for when travelling outside the AY network and on OW partners.
- Many people keep their status card in their wallet with a sense of pride.

And finally we've all experienced a flat phone at some point when travelling. Not having a physical card will just add another layer of stress and anxiety for someone like me when travelling.
To add further:

- Let's say I book a AAdvantage award ticket but have AY status and want to use those perks. Usually it is OK to change the number, but sometimes the system has refused to take it. Physical card eases the pain.

- Or, I want to credit to one program but use benefits from the other. Again, presenting the plastic card is the easiest.

- This is more of a personal thing, but sometimes when I check in at the desk it has happened that the FF number is not on the booking. I already have my passport wallet on the desk so pulling out the card is the quickest in this case.

- AA honors a larger baggage allowance if your status was higher at ticketing compared to the day of travel. So in this case, I would present my receipt with the date ticketed, the old physical card plus a print-out of the rules. AFAIK, digital card won't help here given that it updates dynamically.

- This "environmetal" BS will also inevitably cut luggage tags too. I've found these to help give GA's hint not to harass me about gate-checking.