FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC CEO Calin Rovinescu to Retire February 2021; to be succeeded by Michael Rousseau
Old Oct 17, 2020, 8:23 am
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by tracon
Only four replies to this. I though there would have been 4 pages by now.

It seems common for CEO's to depart when the tragectory of a company changes.
Calin has been around a long time.He led the company through a great growth phase.
He seems to have a great rapport with employees.
Now that layoffs and tough love are in order, it's time for a CEO who isn't as emotionally linked to the employees.
In five years when times are better, a new CEO will come in. Mr. Smith? and lead AC through the next growth phase.

How much does the price of Rovinescu's stock options have to do with retirement?

P.S. I've said in the past, the elimination of Rouge will be announced within a year or Rovinescu's retirement.
The clock is ticking.

Interesting observations.

My conversations with AC employees led me to conclude that there were many who respected Calin's skills and what he was able to do for Air Canada. Some may or may not have liked his personality. Then there were those who were team Ben. But when his name comes up in conversation with many other employees, the responses are negative. In late 2015, one senior person told me that AC was going to buy out Calin's contract and Ben would get the job. I didn't think that would happen based on my own views. Ben is not Calin and may not be what AC needs. Later on, there were references made that Ben got tired of waiting for the throne, as it were, and left to AF, taking some AC employees with him.

In some industries, I suspect having a leader who everyone likes might matter more than the leader who can do what someone like Calin has done for AC.

I've often heard that "Calin loves a good crisis" or "Calin never misses an opportunity that a crisis presents". I've never met the man but I can't think of anyone else who could have steered AC through the various industry challenges, or the record profit they had last year.

Last edited by 24left; Oct 17, 2020 at 8:58 am Reason: spelling