FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Keeping safe on a short road trip
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:36 am
Herb687
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by squeakr
We are contemplating a short road trip next month for a couple of days, just a couple of hours away. I’ve read a lot of anecdotal evidence that gas stations are hot birds of Covid
I've heard absolutely nothing of the sort. That seems like unfounded internet bullsh.

Thinking logically, there's nothing that should make a gas station a hotbed of anything. Assuming you pay at the pump. Gasoline pumps are spaced such that it is incredibly easy to stay at least 6' away from someone else while fueling your car. They're outdoors (save for the canopies) so there's plenty of fresh air circulating.

Thinking you might get cooties from touching a gasoline pump or the payment keypad thereon is approaching the realm of Howard Hughes germophobia.

This is a virus that is spread in an AIRBORNE fashion. The gasoline pump and keypad are no different from any other outdoor hard surface anywhere.

Any thoughts on how to keep safe at gas stations?
Yes. Do exactly what you would do anywhere else.
And what the issues are in people getting sick from them?
There are none.
There’s no reports or studies etc.
Ya think?
but I have read a lot of the first person accounts that are credible
They're not.
We are in a high-risk group we are absolutely social distancing - been working from home since March 9, only trips are masked and to local stores with plenty of Ventilation. We haven’t been indoors with people besides ourselves except shopping trips since March 9 as well.
Any gas station has a lot more "ventilation" than any store you've visited. It's called fresh air. If you are high risk then perhaps you shouldn't be traveling but to be specifically and particularly afraid of gas stations where you pay outdoors at the pump is irrational.