FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Dutch restrictions - KLM lounge
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:30 am
flyingcrazy
Suspended

Originally Posted by maalloc
OK, now that does make sense. Thanks for the logical explanation!

AF does indeed. They also keep wine and spirits bottles around the lounge which people can freely grab to help themselves... Crazy, right?

Joke aside, Non-Schengen alcohol service has been severely tuned down since the Lounge 52 renovation.
I've been told that KLM had some issues with intoxicated customers on long-haul flights after long layovers so they preferred to help pax pace themselves when it comes to alcohol consumption.
Could be that. One could also notice that lounge 52 has a paying bar with nice alcohol selection so keeping self-service options to the bare minimum (Heineken) might help drive customers to the paying area.

I guess we'll never know the real reason why self-service alcohol was limited in lounge 52... Or maybe, same as for the broken walkways, they anticipated Covid-19 so the service change was decided "for our safety", years ago
I do remember the AMS-ABZ service used to be the last flight of the day alongside the AMS-MEX service, and it would be a fascinating gathering of drunk Scots and Mexicans discussing life and showing each other photos of their respective countries landscapes. Was fun. Real shame that the virus has now demanded this little fun gathering must end, we must have a barman keep an eye on our consumption and is trying to force us to drink coffee instead.

Last edited by flyingcrazy; Oct 15, 2020 at 11:43 am