FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stressed... Flying 4 cats w/2 people NY -> TX. Possible?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 7:44 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by kaosguy
We are relocating from NY to Austin, TX. We won't subject our four cats to a 36-hour car drive. So, it has to be flying. Wife and I only flew NY -> TX once with 2 of our cats. We flew first class and were each allowed 1 cat in a separate carrier. I don't remember the airline, but I recall a limit of 2 cats TOTAL in 1st class, so we had to book a good bit in advance. This time, 4 cats and just 2 of us. We will not risk having them in some freight area/hold. Have gone so far as to think about 2 round trips, each with 2 cats. Which seems crazy. Any suggestions on airlines/arrangements that might let us take a single flight NY -> Austin (or Houston, in a pinch) with our 4 "kids"? Two small Abysinnians, two not so small British Shorthairs.
We have a British Shorthair, and I would never fly with her. She has the classic BSH nose, wheezes and snuffles, and gets congested on the ground, I hate to think how much trouble she'd have trying to breath at 30,000 feet. Do your Abys have narrow noses? I know some narrow nose Siamese have trouble w/ flying.

Two of my cats have logged more than 11,000 miles in the car, cross country CA-PA, car trips to FL, New England and Canada, etc. It's much easier to travel by car with cats than most people imagine. There's a number of older posts in this forum with good info on car travel for cats.