FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions about Mexican customs, bringing multiple smartphones, electronics
Old Oct 4, 2020, 4:31 pm
PointsPanda

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Maybe better start a new thread about it FlyingSloth . PV is way more touristy then Merida IMO. I'm surprised you think of Merida as touristy as its a medium sized city of just under 1 million usually skipped by foreigners on vacation despite its proximity to Cancun. PV is quiet, has a lot of old expats, its not like Cancun at all. Also be aware PV doesn't really have much of a real "beach" as its on a bay not the ocean with very short shoreline that practically disappears in high tide. Personally i'm not a huge fan of PV, its quiet and boring without much to do or see past a few days.

Most younger folk like myself usually use PV as simply a starting point to checkout the beaches north or the city in Nayarit like Sayulita, San Pancho etc, that are way prettier and of course, actually have a real beach and for us surfers, waves. Actually in my opinion the "riviera Nayarit" area has some of the prettiest beaches in Mexico and they're only 20-30 miles away from PV proper.

If you liked Merida, Guanajuato and Queretaro, sounds like you like interior cities. Maybe check out Puebla and its sister city Cholulua, its 2 hour bus ride from CDMX, an absolutely stunning Spanish colonial towncenter, tons of crazy history went down there, and fascinating museums as well. Plus its def busier then sleepy Guanajuato but not TOO busy like CDMX and much better air quality, maybe this medium level bustle is your vibe.

Maybe you could something like PV for 2-3 days, Sayulita/San Pancho for 2-3 days, then fly to CDMX and checkout some nearby pueblos, like Cuernavaca/Tepotzlan, Valle de Bravo, Puebla/Cholula etc. Another option is a few days in PV and nearby beaches and then its only a 4 hour bus ride to Guadalajara and of course nearby Tequilia. GDL has some fascinating culture but it pales in comparison to CDMX in terms of stuff to do and culture and general vibrancy. plus much less walking friendly, I'd give it 2-3 days max.

Hope this is helpful, but generally speaking 10 nights in PV you'd be pretty bored, you could see all the sites in 2 days and the beach in the city proper, well stinks honestly, it feels more like a lake shore then ocean or bay. PV has some OK nightlife too, but of course due to covid all shutdown ATM. PV does have its perks though, good flight connections, and since they are used to tourist good english level as well, but outside of the boardwalk and the church in the center there ain't much to do IMO.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Oct 4, 2020 at 4:39 pm