FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PSA: TP259 Sept 19 LIS - YYZ (Passengers had COVID)
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:41 pm
Fiordland

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Indeed. The data currently posted online only goes back covering the period from September 9-22. I wonder how long they have been collecting this data (anyone know?), and if they are doing anything with it, other than pinging those who were within +- 3 rows of someone who tested positive.

Is Canada testing all passengers arriving on international flights? Well, that seems unlikely as they also have this data on domestic flights. Maybe this comes just from people who self-report testing positive later (or after being hospitalized?) and then they disclose their recent travel history?

Of course, there are lots of other parameters that could impact infection/spread....flight duration, number of known positive passengers on the same flight, seating load, aircraft type (large widebody jet, or small regional turboprop, etc.)... But even if imperfect, I agree, this is valuable data, and I would hope they are doing a quality, ongoing study using it. Anyone know if they are?
Data goes back months. Each province is responsible for doing its own contact tracing however generally the infection rate is sufficiently low that they can do contact tracing and build the correlations between testing data and exposure. They have also been looking at the genetic makeup of the virus samples. They would be able to tell if this is the mutated version in Italy or if it matches the original version from China etc.

Everyone entering Canada is required on entry to be able to articulate a plan for their 14 day quarantine, including where, who will delivery groceries etc. Local health authorities and police have been following up. If the person can't articulate a plan, the government will play host.