FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PSA: TP259 Sept 19 LIS - YYZ (Passengers had COVID)
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:11 pm
nwflyboy

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by jchock1
Given this information, it would seem relatively easy to determine the number of passengers that were exposed to coronavirus who subsequently were infected. They've got the contact information, seat number, age, sex, country of origin etc. Seems like a perfect case study.
Indeed. The data currently posted online only goes back covering the period from September 9-22. I wonder how long they have been collecting this data (anyone know?), and if they are doing anything with it, other than pinging those who were within +- 3 rows of someone who tested positive.

Is Canada testing all passengers arriving on international flights? Well, that seems unlikely as they also have this data on domestic flights. Maybe this comes just from people who self-report testing positive later (or after being hospitalized?) and then they disclose their recent travel history?

Of course, there are lots of other parameters that could impact infection/spread....flight duration, number of known positive passengers on the same flight, seating load, aircraft type (large widebody jet, or small regional turboprop, etc.)... But even if imperfect, I agree, this is valuable data, and I would hope they are doing a quality, ongoing study using it. Anyone know if they are?