FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:59 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
Kansas City has like no working contactless at the pump besides one unbranded Commander and Flex Pay IV readers location called The Station. I found a nice brand new Amoco station with Flex Pay IV chip and contactless readers. I expected ctls to work outside like it does locally at BP but it didn't. Inside is Commander with EMV contactless and of course ctls debit forces pin.. Phillips 66 with Commander and Flex Pay IV is the same way as BP outside in KC. Oh and 7-Eleven has contactless support as poor as Caseys General Store as Amex via Google Pay failed with card read error. Debit pin is forced via ctls at both. But at least Ikea allows pin bypass on debit contactless and didn't even ask on my WF debit card but asked on another banks via Google Pay but pressing green bypassed the pin.
Speaking of gas stations, the area Pilot location still doesn't have working outside contactless. Additionally, the Lane/7000s inside didn't seem to immediately read my UNFCU contactless card (despite the display indicating I could tap at any time) until the cashier presumably pushed something on his end. It ran as EMV contactless, though, albeit with no PIN prompted on my card (possibly because I tapped when the total was known, or perhaps due to online PIN on contactless being disabled).

BTW, Pilot's the first place I'm aware of with a specific "Skip" button for the ZIP code prompt (as shown below). However, they're possibly doing BIN validation as it re-displayed the ZIP code prompt after my attempted skip. I imagine it may very well go through without ZIP entry if one were to use a non-US card.