FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:42 pm
JJN

Originally Posted by ram0
Good to know, have an upcoming stay this Dec, would you recommend a specific Reef Villa or are they all similar? Would prefer with sunset and a bit privacy if possible.
If you want a sunset, you would need to be in one of the 6 south facing Reef villas, although you would be watching the sunset over the buildings on the large island which makes up the western part of the resort. No Reef villas would have a true sunset over water view. Other than that, they are all pretty much the same. I liked being in a Reef on the large island because you could walk right out onto the main beach at the NAVA cabanas. As for privacy, the foliage has filled in thick so privacy wasn't much of a concern anywhere.

Originally Posted by bdubs7
Do they provide free sunscreen at the resort?
Not that I noticed. Only place I saw sunscreen the whole time was some Sun Bum in one of the retail clothing stores.

Originally Posted by toade
Are the overwater 100s still closed?

Are they still doing the welcome bottle of wine in your room? If so, is it still champagne?

What are the restaurants like these days? Still rotating which are opened? Do you recommend reservations?
The 100s are still closed. Our concierge told us they are reserving that whole portion of the resort for quarantine in the event anyone test positive for covid-19.

Yes, they still do the welcome bottle of wine. Ours was a Chardonnay so we asked our concierge if we could swap it for champagne, but they wouldn't do it. They were happy to swap it for a Rhone red though.

Li Long and Glow are closed until the staff is able to return from overseas. Tasting Table / Peacock Alley, Terra, The Ledge, Nava, and Amber were open daily. Yasmeen is rotating. Rock is only open when enough people are interested in the $350 or $750 pp menu. Your concierge will touch base with you daily and make your dinner reservations. I suspect this is mainly for staffing purposes as there was zero risk of a restaurant being fully booked when we were there last week as there were only 40 guests at the whole resort.

If you like fish, my favorite meal was catching fish on a Sunset Fishing excursion ($110 pp) and having a chef prepare it the following night ($65 pp). We had sashimi Tuna and grilled Red Snapper. Way more than we could eat and included a salad, side of fried rice, and other extras.

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 24, 2020 at 3:04 pm Reason: Consolidation.