FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Extended through Friday 9/25 -- Promo: Two month CP after one flight
Old Sep 22, 2020, 12:25 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YourNameHere
I'm not clear on how the timing of booking the companion ticket would work. Say I book a qualifying flight today, to travel October 10. The plan is for my companion and I to take a couple of trips in January and February. When would I be able to book our January/February flight with my companion flying free? Would it be after my October 10 flight? Would it be not until January 6? Some other date?

Also, can I book our January/February flights using Rapid Rewards points and still get my companion's ticket free?
My guess is that sometime around November 16th, you'd receive notification that you have the CP. (I'm assuming it's a batch process they'd run at the end of the period, but I guess it could happen earlier...) You would add your companion's name after that, and then go into your existing reservations and add him/her as a companion.

I already have February trips booked. At some point, I'll cancel the seats for my wife, putting RR points back into my account, and then rebook companion tickets.

The only limitation is that you cannot add a companion to a flight that is already sold out, but that is highly unlikely on the flights I have booked for February.

Yes, you can fly award + companion. Just pay the $5.60 or whatever it is in taxes per segment.