FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dubrovnik and Croatia's Spectacular Dalmatian Coast via Lufthansa First Class
Old Sep 20, 2020, 3:56 am
SFO777
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by offerendum
One of the reason there are so few tourists is that Croatia was classified as high risk area for example in Germany and Austria. Also regions are classifed as high Risk without warning and you may face quarantaine when returning. For example I was lucky as Den Haag was classified a few days after I returned was classified as high risk area. Only 1 day of quarantaine would had cost me a lot in this case so I decided to do no more overnight stay outside Germany in the near future. Sad, but the (economical) risk is too high.
Sadly, international travel is really difficult these days even for experienced travelers. Lots of prep work necessary to understand restrictions for where you are going, even where you are connecting if that's involved. Then the possible change in risk classification you mentioned. If the cost of the possibility of a quarantine on return if an issue, you are wise to forgo travel now.

Originally Posted by zip10001
Happy Birthday SFO777. Great trip report as always! We visited Dubrovnik in July 2018 so your TR brings back great memories
Thank you zip10001. I'd imagine it was a lot more crowded for your visit.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Hotel looks great and the city very interesting and pleasant. Croatia has moved to the top of my travel list.
Thanks cmd320. We'd really loved Dubrovnik, more so than Split. Glad we spend more time there and in islands.

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Are there any traces of Yugoslav wars still to be seen in Dubrovnik? Like shelled building walls etc.?
Absolutely. A lot of it was rebuilt and/or repaired. But there are plenty of scar marks, mortar fire and bullet holes. Up on the hill overlooking Dubrovnik, from where Serbian forces shelled the city, some of the ruins look untouched.

Originally Posted by sonomawine
Excellent trip report and a welcome change from all the non-travel over the past 7 months. I thought FRA was dead when I last transited on March 12th back to SFO, but it is really sad to see it now. Happy birthday SFO777 and enjoy for all of us!
Thanks you very much sonomawine. I appreciate it. It was great to travel long-haul and internationally again.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Thanks for taking the time to put together another trip report. It lets us know that the world still exists out there. I'm looking forward to getting back to more normal times - paper LH F roses not withstanding.
Thank you worldtraveller73. I'd definitely recommend traveling now if one feels comfortable. While we are totally comfortable about getting on a plane to anywhere, our biggest concern is not COVID but the risk of countries changing rules while we are there. Fortunately, Croatia seems to take a more pragmatic approach. If you don't have COVID, we'll let you in and let you spend your money. What a concept!

Originally Posted by theshaun
Great report as always. I'm reliving my 2013 trip through your lens. I had rented an apartment just around the corner from Pile gate. You likely came close to it's front door when you went to the water's edge near the castle. I recall getting a kayak off that pier in your photo. I hope you were able to make it to the Buza bar!
Thanks very much theshaun. You know what a special place Dubrovnik is. Unfortunately we did not make it to the Buza bar.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Happy Birthday Sir!!
At least during these trying times you managed to squeeze in what looks like an amazing trip to celebrate, FRA excluded of course.
But, this, had me in stitches:
The photos of him are classic.
Thank for very much roadwarrier for your kind wishes. The Hello Kitty Hazmat guy was one for the ages.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 20, 2020 at 4:14 am