FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2020
Old Sep 19, 2020, 10:07 pm
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jacobsleather
Not sure why HK hasn't adopted the concept of bringing the wireless card reader to the table. I'm inclined now to take the bill folder to the terminal to see the card processing occur with my own eyes. If anything just to indicate that I don't like my card being taken away from me, and also to see if the Apple Pay reader is there.
I think HK banks have been cheapskate. They could have easily tore out all those phone jack terminals and handed every customer a 4G-connected mobile terminal like the ones in New Zealand. The only reason they don't do that I can think of is cost avoidance, if not technological incompetence in their IT departments.

They also skimp on the training - servers sometimes seem reluctant to collect by mobile reader even when they have them. So I have to look out for which terminals restaurants use or make special trips to the cashier to find out. Not always socially possible depending on the company I have for that lunch/dinner (same difficulty as fighting a DCC).