FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Negative PCR Clarification:
View Single Post
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:38 pm
Cat88L3

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by glocklt4
No - there isn't a "Rapid" PCR test - you just got the results faster than normal because they started processing your specimen quickly... The key is to go somewhere that has no backlog, or is willing to put you at the front of the line for additional cost.

"Rapid" is synonymous with the Abbott antigen test, which is a quick 5-15min, but also not nearly as accurate, which is why almost no country will accept that for entrance.

To me, rapid means exactly what it says which is fast. The only thing I know is that my doc ordered a rapid PCR test for me to do. At first, I was supposed to get a regular one that was 2+ days of processing time. I clarified that I needed the results within a few hours and I did use the words "Rapid PCR".

Now, if that means they are just processing the results super quick, great. The point is my results came within the hour vs 2 - 9 days. People do need to make the distinction of what they want regarding PCR testing, even when it comes to the processing/getting the results... At least this is the case in the NYC area. I didn't pay an additional cost (my test was free through my health insurance) and the medical network that I used definitely had a backlog. Normal turnaround time was 3 - 5 days average
​​​