FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:18 pm
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
They do random checks to actually see if you have your ID?!? Guess that means I should start carrying my ID when I go through clear... good to know.
Originally Posted by Doppy
Even pre-COVID I found many times when the Clear line wasn't; any faster. But I prefer not to take out my ID as well.

Post-COVID I've had experiences where the pre-check line was closed, and without Clear I'd be stuck in the longer general line. Since there are few services at the airport these days I try to cut things even closer than normally, so having some comfort that I can get through security quickly is important....
Yes it is nice not having to take out your ID, I'm always afraid I'm going to accidentally drop it or lose it. That's why I usually show my Global Entry card as I don't care so much if I lose that.

The other day I flew out of SEA. UA goes out of A but the clear/pre-check checkpoint has been closed "due to covid". The next closest is CLEAR but not pre. The only PRE (and CLEAR) is in the middle of the airport. If I don't have a bag to check, I just have my ride drop me at the checkpoint, if I have to check a bag, I question if there is any time savings going half way across the airport and back. I guess it is nice to get a little exercise in prior to a long cross country flight though.