FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express retention offers (2020)
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:40 pm
Diplomatico

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge99
Consumer gold, was offered additional AU and have them spend $500 for 5k points for up to 4 AU (so 20k points total). Have to provide the AU's on the call right there. Too much hassle, ended the call. Will try calling again alter.

I was also told that there is no free card I can convert to from Consumer Gold. Is this accurate?
Yes.

-------

Called today for a retention offer and after accepting said offer, I listened to the spiel about gaming, cancelling the card too early, etc.

While I had the rep on the phone, I asked about the 12 month rule (e.g., the requirement to retain the card for 12 months or they may claw back the appreciation MR points.) The card I was calling about is a Gold card that had previously been a Platinum card - the anniversary date is in January.

I was told that the 12 months begins today - so I have to retain the card until September 16, 2021. I do not have to retain it for a full year after paying the new fee in January.

I asked another question - if I wanted to product change from Gold back to Plat, is that allowable? I was told that I risk clawback if I product change the card within the 12 month window, even if I product change "upward" to a Platinum card.

I see questions similar to these posted with some degree of regularity so hopefully this provides clarification for others as well.