FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand
Old Sep 15, 2020, 6:25 pm
transpac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rebadc
The article indicates the tourist must show a reservation in a hotel or condo for at least 90 days, the intent being that these tourists stay a minimum of 90 days.
What if I only stay 40 or 50 days and leave? Am I stopped at immigration and fined the balance (i.e. a hefty early departure fee)

I guess I could obligated to enter into some type of "contract" as a condition of applying for this new Visa.

This is just one of the hundred or so details that need to be worked out, hence this will be a lengthy process before the new STV is "available".

My guess on your scenario: you must state and adhere to travel plans as part of your visa application. So you'd need a flight ticket, probably forced to TG (saw a statement preferring "direct" flights") or one of the existing repatriation flights, and a room contract, maybe with a hefty deposit for the duration of your ticketed stay.

Haven't seen mention of an insurance requirement but would expect that to be an absolute requirement. Saw some quasi-official mention of existing CoE requirements must be fulfilled, so that means mandatory $100,000 insurance.

https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2020/...eed-insurance/

Nor have I seen proof of funds requirement, which is part of the METV process. Seen some reports this may be required. METV just requires you to show a minimum bank balance in your home country account.

And while you can extend the stay twice for 90 days each time (having to deal with Immigration and paperwork), I do not think you'd be able to convert this visa in-country.

And people need to ask what happens if there is an increase in local cases? Quarantine, lockdown, no way to leave? We've still got ~ 100,000 "tourists" stuck here from March.

There are quite a few categories of people who are desperate to return, in addition to all the Thais patiently waiting months to repatriate, so for them, this offers a bit of hope.

There are a lot of ASQ videos out there, make sure you can deal with that for ~ 15 nights. A decent property seems like 70,000-ish THB. Could I survive in a 35,000 THB option? Yeah, as long as it is on the ground floor.

Last edited by transpac; Sep 15, 2020 at 8:51 pm